Vacationers go through mandatory health checks in South Korean province BY JASON MILLER

A look at the “Clan Gangwon Passport” app from a smartphone in Gangwon-do Province in South Korea.

Vacationers in one South Korean province will have to follow strict new rules under a new government program that every person will have to submit to a mandatory health check via a website/app. The digital entry log or “Clean Gangwon Passport” as it is called in Gangwon-do Province was created by the province to make travel safe amid the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic according to government officials.
Visitors visiting the province must make an account on the aforementioned app/website. They then present their information when they arrive using their smartphone to staff at the venue if they don’t have a fever staff gives them an electronic stamp. That stamp automatically records and stores the visitor’s information on a local government server that is deleted after 30 days. Officials say that “For the sake of time and convenience, it gives a free pass to those who have already had a temperature check,” for 12 hours so they only have to get there temperatures checked twice a day even if they move to another place.
The government says the system allows them to swiftly trace visitors if there is an emergency.
Visitor John Puppreeht told South Korean state broadcaster Arirang that “In Korea, I trust the local government to use the (health) information wisely”
The Clean Gangwon Passport is mandatory in singing rooms and nightclubs and other facilities that are considered high-risk. Officials are encouraging tourists to use the app at other places and say that visitors can receive rewards like free coffee or discounts when checking in.
One establishment said, “We encourage customers using cash to use this system more, because, unlike card users, the places they have been to are not recorded.”
About 5,000 venues are currently registered on the Clean Gangwon Passport system with many set to join in the coming weeks.
Some casino’s and entertainment establishments in the United States are using similar systems and Downtown Disney in Southern California began similar measures to South Korea’s model in addition to mandatory face coverings for people over the age of two-years-old and social distancing rules on Thursday, July 9 when it reopened to the general public after it had been closed due to the pandemic.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s