Charlie Gard’s Parents Walk Out Of Court in Frustration!

Tensions boiled over in the UK High Court Thursday, July 13th, (2017) in the case of 11-month-old Charlie Gard; two hours into the hearing Charlie’s parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard stormed out of the court over being misquoted by Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) about Charlie’s quality of life. Charlie’s father Chris Gard punched a table, stood up saying “I thought this was supposed to be independent.” UK legal commentator Joshua Rozenberg who was in court told Sky News Television that “The hearing lasted for more than two hours and the strain just got to them.” Mr. Justice Francis later apologized telling both parents that “he had located the transcript of evidence they gave three months ago, and that they would not be misquoted.”

GOSH, doctors also said that the “baby’s (Charlie) head is not growing because his brain damage is so advanced.” Connie Yates, however, disagrees with this and told the court that she “measured the circumference of Charlie’s head and found it had grown by two centimeters.” Mr. Justice Francis was said to have shown frustration that such a discrepancy had not been clarified, and asked for an “independent person to measure Charlie’s head within twenty-four hours,” and that “It is absurd that the science of this case is being infected by the inability to measure a child’s skull.”

An unnamed New York expert who was interviewed via video-link told the hearing that  “new evidence has emerged since the last court decision in April,” and that he “would be prepared to come to London to examine Charlie.”

A family spokesperson told reporters “WE LOVE HIM MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF. IF HE IS STILL FIGHTING, WE ARE STILL FIGHTING.”

This hearing comes after Charlie’s parents provided evidence of experimental treatment in the United States; the parents had already fought and lost legal battles in the UK Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights. Mr. Justice Francis is supposed to make his ruling whether to regarding Charlie Gard at 2.p.m. British Standard Time on Friday, July 14th.

Keep reading the Miller News Service for updates on this story.

Sources: BBC News; Sky News; ITV News

© 2017 Miller News Service

Advertisements

One thought on “Charlie Gard’s Parents Walk Out Of Court in Frustration!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s