Doctors were told Monday (June 19th) by the UK Supreme Court to continue providing life-support treatment to baby Charlie Gard for another three weeks in order for judges in the European Court of Human Rights time to analyze his case. The court had earlier ruled life support should continue until midnight on 19th June.
Ten-month-old Charlie suffers from a rare genetic condition and is terminally ill, is at the center of a high-profile legal battle. His parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, want to take their son to the US for to undergo a therapy trial. (See Story: Socialized Medicine may take life of Nine-month-old baby boy in the United Kingdom! BY JASON MILLER)
However, specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, where Charlie is being cared for, say life support treatment should now be switched off and argue the therapy proposed by a doctor in the US is experimental and will not help.
A spokeswomen for the European Court of Human Rights told ITN/ITV News “In light of the exceptional circumstances of this case, the court has already accorded it priority and will treat the application with the utmost urgency,” she also said, “It is anticipated that as soon as the responsible chamber of the court is in a position to consider the application made on behalf of Charlie Gard and his parents an expedited timetable for the determination of this application will be established.”
Keep reading the Miller News Service for updates on this developing story.
Source: ITN/ITV News
© 2017 Miller News Service